Protostar: Stack5

Overview


I wanted to learn more about the fundamentals behind performing a buffer overflow, or
"Stack Smashing" attack. This is a pretty common attack and no modern system would
really have this type of vulnerability. Still, this is a good way to gain some beginners
knowledge of reversing with GDB and the x86 assembly language, and because I am a
diehard academic, lets dive in!
Overview of Buffer Overflows

Following the Exploit exercises site here, we downloaded the Protostar VM.
I started at Stack5, because Stack0-4 were relatively simple.

Stack5 is recreating a standard buffer overflow using shellcode as a payload.
The source code includes nothing except for a simple 64 Byte buffer that you are
supposed to overflow. This was my introduction to using any type of shellcode related
exploit, so I have included links for my own reference.

A snip of the source code for this exercise





Crafting the Payload


Metasploit and MsfPayload are command-line tool for crafting all kinds of exploits. I wanted to take a more hands
on approach to writing shellcode. So This is what I read.
The shellcode database is obviously a much shorter method to finding useful codes.
Shellcode DB

Metasploit Guide

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend likes copying watches. replica iwc watches When you buy it back, this gorgeous replica watch is amazing. The watch design and features are very fresh and elegant. The quality is relatively perfect.replica iwc aquatimer watches This replica watch is very special, good quality and very cheap

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. big data

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased to see your Content. The manner you describe packaging Benefits well in this Blog
    Custom Dispenser Boxes

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Using Selenium Testing for Electron (Atom shell) Applications

Packaging Electron Applications for OSX

Installing Influxdb and Grafana on EMR